Skip to main content

What charges and jail time will I face for giving a false statement to the police which led to an arrest?

Baltimore, MD |

My boyfriend and I had an argument he left I started drinking he came back I was still upset I told him to leave and when he didn't I called the police. I asked the police what do I have to do to stop someone from coming to my house and the said go file for a restraining order. I didn't like that answer so I said what if I told you that they pulled gun on me four days ago. The police then asked is he here I originally told them no but then stated that he was, they asked did he have the gun on him I told them that it might be in his duffel bag in the car. He called his captain to see what could be done since he wasn't in the car. The captain arrived he arrested him in the house took him outside searched the car and found a handgun in the bag. I went and gave a taped and written statement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In NJ and most other jurisdictions, you are potentially subject to being charged with Filing a False Report and False Swearing charges. The problem you will now face is that by making these statements, you have become a witness for the State which will place you in the position of needing to either commit another crime (perjury) when you are called to testify at any court proceeding; or, of needing to assert your constitutional right to remain silent. Under either of these scenarios, you need to consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in MD as soon as possible.

Since I do not practice law in your State, this answer is provided solely for informational purposes only, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer