What can the Heirs do to get the succession done? Do the Heirs have rights?

Covington, LA |

My sister is the Executor and it has been over 2 years and $18,000 dollars later and we are no closer then we were 6 months into it. Is it okay to just take your time in these matters, or is it my right to have it done faster. She keeps looking for assets and even when told by one lawyer that it would be useless to go after it she still has. And 2 years later we still have not gotten any thing more then the first 3 months, and 3 lawyers later. Do I not have any rights in this matter, if so how do I have a voice? My sister does not listen to me and says she will but does what she wants. I believe she has procrastinated and now she says she has other obligations. I live in Florida so I can not go to Louisiana to take over.

Your best bet is to retain an experienced Louisiana lawyer in the parish where this matter is being probated. He or she will bring this matter to the court's attention and, hopefully, the judge will push your sister to complete the estate administration. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

Try calling the lawyer who is handling the succession. He may be able to explain why it is taking so long. Also, the call may prompt the lawyer to move it faster.

The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.