Skip to main content

What Can my friend be facing for a 1990 Violation of Probation as a Juvenile?

Brooklyn, NY |

My Friend is facing a Violation of Probation in New York, he was 17 and in the care of his parents at the time. He was just extradited (from FL) to face this charge and looking to see what he may be facing . He is 40 years old now and again this happened in 1990 his Probation was 5 years which he completed only 2 months I believe. Any information will be truly appreciated thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It depends on what he was convicted of and whether he received Youthful Offender treatment.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



sorry... it was a second degree burglary


He is facing whatever he could have been sentenced to back in 1990. The fact that he did not come back voluntarily does not bode well for him. He should retain an experienced criminal defense lawyer.

The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement


Must be a relatively serious charge if NY elected to extradite him 14 years later. Not sure what your stake in this matter is, but your friend will need the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy


There are still consequences for the offender even though he is now an adult. The State can move forward with a motion to terminate probation. If jail time is ordered, he goes to adult jail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer