Skip to main content

What can i legally do to force my landlord to make repairs or reimburse me for hotel stays & rent/deposit?

Rockford, IL |

bedroom wall & ceiling covered by mold and mildew from leak in the upstairs apartment. doorknobs falling off, back porch has holes in wood that racoons come in through

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Call the city building inspector and report the problems. Hopefully you are keeping good records of your attempts to contact your landlord and the problems you have with the apartment. Forget a hotel. Move out.


Also, you may find it in your best interest to be proactive in finding a lawyer experienced in landlord tenant matters and be prepared to defend against a possible suit the landlord may bring. The lawyer can give you more specific advice about what is called the "breach of habitability" and "constructive eviction".

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer