Skip to main content

What can I expect from a pink summons in New York City?

New York, NY |

I am 40 years old and have no criminal record. I was given a disorderly conduct pink summons and whose date comes up this summer. I am scheduled to appear at 346 Broadway.

I am employed and way above the poverty line. I would not qualify for a means-tested public defender.

I would like to know if I need an attorney for this court date and if so how I could find one who is effective for the most reasonable price.

I've read on the internet that often cases like this are given ACDs which would be the ideal outcome. Is there anything I can do to make that more or less likely?

I just have no idea what to expect from this or even how to get reliable information. Any information or source would be greatly appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I handle cases at 346 Broadway almost every day. The biggest advantage of retaining a private lawyer is that I come to court so that you don't have to take the day off work, wait in line for possibly several hours and be unable to use your smart phone to communicate with your business needs. Because the case is on for resolution and not trial, there is no benefit to you appearing in court as you will not be afforded the opportunity to speak on your own behalf.

The large majority of my clients are busy, employed white-collar individuals who appreciate being spared the indignity of spending a full day at 346 Broadway.

If you need further assistance, please contact me directly.


There is a good chance that you will receive an ACD offer. There will be a court appointed attorney available if you come without one. The argument made will be based on the facts. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You are on the right track to an ACD based on your record. You may want to discreetly gather character references. I routinely handle theses cases in that Court. My office can answer all questions in more detail. Fees are very reasonable. Call for free consultation. Law Office of Terri B Kalker 718-793-1900.


You can go without an attorney. There will be an appointed lawyer there who will stand for all those without a lawyer. You will wait your turn with everyone else. The assigned lawyer, who will not have had a chance to review the ticket in advance, will make a perfunctory sight-unseen pitch to the judge for a dismissal or ACD, and you may or may not get it depending on the judge; more likely, you'll get offered a plea to the charge and have to pay a small fine. You won't have a record either way. If you a hire a lawyer, the lawyer will actually review the ticket for deficiencies in advance, and therefore be in a better position to make a real argument for dismissal. In addition, the lawyer can act on your behalf without you even having to show up. If you want to be present, always a good idea, your lawyer can get you called ahead of the rank and file so your waiting around time is minimized. I appear regularly for clients on such matters.