Skip to main content

What can I expect for probation following my DUI?

Canton, OH |
Attorney answers 3


Ask your attorney. If you do not have one, hire one as DUIs can be devastating. loss of license, driving priviledges, increased insurance, program fees.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


The law permits up to three years, however every court (judge) is different. Many of the judges I practice in front of order 2 yrs. of non-reporting probation, which just means that if you get another alcohol related offense, any jail time that was suspended can be imposed.

Other courts do 6 months - 2 yrs of reporting probation. Of those that order reporting probation, you can always filed a motion after your fines/court costs are paid and you have completed any other requirements such as the driver intervention program, and ask the judge to terminate probation early.

Bottom line, you need to hire someone who is familiar with the court you will be in and ask them. Of course I highly recommend hiring an aggressive OVI attorney because if you are not convicted, there won't be any probation.

Neil Scott Rubin

Neil Scott Rubin


The actual court, judge and prosecutor all have a role in what happens. There is broad sentencing discretion. You need to hire a lawyer.

Todd Bruce Kotler

Todd Bruce Kotler


Amen Brothers Ruben, and Meadows


I agree with the other attorneys who have already answered. Please note that Jeff Meadows is among the foremost DUI attorneys in this State and has a nationwide reputation.

Meanwhile, as others here wrote, it depends on many factors and you really need an attoreny to review everything in the "official" file and everything that actually happened from the moment the arresting officer flashed his lights to the present.

The consequenses of pleading to a DUI go far beyond the sentence imposed by the court. You become a marked person for the next 20 years subject to enhanced penalities for any subsequent offense. The record of this conviction can impact job prospects and custody disputes as well. As costly as aggressive DUI attorneys are, the cost of winging this and getting it wrong are beyond severe.

Good luck.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer