Skip to main content

What can I do to increase my chances of actually obtaining a Social Security Disability Attorney to take my case?

Phoenix, AZ |

Need to have my case appealed; but have missed the SSD appeal deadline b/c my present physician was out sick & unable to sign my medical condition form before my 60 day deadline was up-when I was having my case reviewed by a Disabiity Group. Have sought several attorneys-only to turn my case down. One stating that my case was not medically strong enough. I was denied on my 1st try by the SSA & their reasoning was: My condition was not strong enough to keep me from working. I sustained a 2nd degree grease burn to my right (predominate) hand on 4/5/2011--was warming some grease on the to of the stove & the grease splattered from the pan when I picked the handle up; burning my hand at approximately 400 degrees-causing my nerves to be severly damaged & leaving me neurological damage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


An attorney evaluates your past job and your ability to do other jobs, as well as your education and age, among other factors. Injury to a hand with no other medical condition would be difficult, but I can't say without a full review. You do not need a doctor to sign anything for you to appeal. Since you ran out of time, you should reapply again.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


I would recommend re-applying. Next time around, promptly appeal the denial with or without a lawyer. You have to be able to prove that you cannot engage in substantial gainful activity because of your condition. In other words, there is no job readily available to you in the national economy because of your condition. Don't give up though. It is worth another try.


impairment in only one extremity raises the question of how that precludes you from substantially full-time work. The answer may be a continuing degree of pain, I don't know, but one extremity only is likely to be found less than compelling by the hearing judge. Your doctors would need to support the notion that you cannot do ANY substantially full-time work.
Regarding the lateness issue, if you are not more than about a month late (the less late the better) you can submit the appeal with a letter explaining what "good cause" you have for filing late, the more such cause is related to your medical condition(s) the better. The State Agency may accept such a late appeal.

Disclaimer The website of The Law Office of Paul J. Dombeck, PLLC provides general information on selected disability law topics as a public service. Information is intended- but not promised or guaranteed- to be current and correct. No attorney/client relationship is created by viewing the contents of this website or requesting a free case evaluation. Each individual case has unique circumstances. Readers are advised that a competent legal representative should be consulted for advice on Social Security Disability, ERISA and private Long Term Disability, Disability Pension, other disability matters as well as Injury and Bankruptcy matters. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. We have provided internet links to on-line resources. We are not sponsored by or associated with any particular link unless specifically stated. Furthermore, providing a link does not imply endorsement of the linked entity and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in any link. We strongly discourage the use of internet e-mail for the transmission of sensitive or confidential information because e-mail is not a secure method of communication. The Law Office of Paul J. Dombeck, PLLC does not owe a duty of confidentiality to individuals who unilaterally e-mail inquiries to us when, as here, the e-mail is unsolicited. The sender does not have a reasonable expectation of confidentiality in such situations.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer