Skip to main content

What can I do to get my retainer fee back that was paid to my lawyer over a year ago, I cannot locate him

Greenville, SC |

I paid my attorney a retainer fee and have not heard from him in over a year. I have contacted him and have still not recieved returned calls. Do I have legal rights to get my retainer back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Taking money from a client and not doing anything for the client is a sure way for an attorney to be disciplined by the entity that licenses and regulates attorney.

If your attorney is in SC, the SC Supreme Court is the entity that regulates attorneys in SC. Its website is here: .

From that site, click on the "Disciplinary Complaint FAQs" to get more information on the procedures.

The SC Bar has a Lawyers Fund for Client Protection. You may be eligible to a gift from the SC Bar to make up for the money your attorney took from you. The SC Bar's website is: . The SC Bar has other programs for fee disputes.

Getting the attorney disciplined or your money back takes time. While waiting for the processes to complete, you likely should hire another attorney to take care of your original matter before you lose your right to take care of the matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer