Skip to main content

What can I do if my lawyer isn't doing his job?

Fremont, CA |

Two years ago my girlfriend hired a bankruptcy attorney. He demanded money up front, so she paid him. Now two years later he still hasn't been able to complete the process. His normal routine has been to schedule a court date two months in advance. As the date gets closer she will send him a message to confirm and with no explanation he says it's been rescheduled. The only other response she gets is when he says "your new court date is..." And then the process repeats itself.. She doesn't know what to do at this point and neither do I. The likely choice would be to go with someone else but i dont think it's fair he's collected money for essentially doing nothing.. Please help..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


First things first, your girlfriend needs to get an attorney to resolve her bankruptcy so she can financially move on with her life.

If your girlfriend does not believe he has earned the money paid, you have a couple of options. She can file a small claims action and seek her money back. She can go to the county bar association and start a mandatory fee arbitration. And if she believes he as not been truthful with her and has essentially abandoned her case, she can report him to the State Bar of California.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


To know more, ask your attorney to give you a breakdown of the hours worked and check if the charged hours actually correspond to the work done.
You can always find another attorney to take over the case and try to find an amicable solution with your previous attorney.

Attorney Advertising. The information given above is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer