Skip to main content

What can I do if my job does not want to pay money owed to me after being fired.

Pompano Beach, FL |

I was hired and worked for a company for one month. For my first check the company paid me the wrong amount it was short $400. The company was supposed to give me the money they shorted me in my next check, but before I received my next check the company fired me. It has been over two weeks since I have been fired and I still have not been paid. I tried to call the company but the manager pretends like he’s not in the office. I sent the manger an email asking when will I receive my final payment and the manger does not respond. The company owes me $1000 and I feel like they will not pay. Can someone tell me what can I do. I do not have proof that I was working at the company for one month so can this company lie and say I was not there for that amount of time and get away with not paying

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


That's illegal. Just Google "Florida wage claim attorney" and chat with a few attorneys. They will generally sue the employer and force the employer to pay them, so you shouldn't have to pay up front.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


Consult an attorney. You have options to sue under the Fair Labor Standards Act, which most attorneys will handle on a contingency basis if they feel strong enough about your case, or you can file a small claims action against your employer.

If you prevail under a FLSA action, which is a much longer process, you can get double damages and an attorney will get reasonable attorney fees awarded plus costs to be paid by the employer.

This answer is subject to the terms and conditions provided by AVVO. Also, it does not create an attorney-client relationship in any manner whatsoever. In connection with any potential claims, an attorney should be promptly contacted to obtain more specific advice and to ensure that any applicable statutes of limitation do not expire which would prevent you from seeking relief on one or more of your potential causes of action.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer