Skip to main content

What can I do if my ex-wife refuses to communicate with me via text or email?

Miami, FL |

I have learned that I can only communicate with my ex-wife via text or email to make sure that everything is documented. There have been several times where she refuses to talk to me using these methods. I do not feel comfortable talking to her in person or on the phone where nothing is recorded or documented. I even gave her the option to talk over the phone if the call was recorded but she refused to be recorded. What can I do in this case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If your case is still on going you can get an order requiring communications through If not, look in your final judgment and see of there is anything about communication between the parties.


Is your case still pending? If not, what do your court orders state regarding communication?

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.



It was closed, but no reopened because some new issues have came up.





You have not indicated whether you have children together. Do you? otherwise, why do you need to speak with her at all? If you do have children, then you need to have an agreement to communicate a certain way or maybe consider a parenting coordinator.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.



Yes, we have 1 child.


What is it thatyou need to communiccate with her about? If child related you may need to return to court and get a court order setting forth the manner in which the two of you communicate with each other. I have seen judges require email under tehse circumstances.

This answer was provided as a courtesy to you and no attempt was made to establish any type of attorney/client relationship.


I would follow the terms of your final judgment regarding communication with your spouse. If it is not working or not effective, you can file the appropriate motion or supplemental petition with the Court. I would document the times when she is not responding to you and keep track of the text messages and emails.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer