Skip to main content

What can I do if my car was hit and the person ran off? I do not have collision coverage.

Fort Lee, NJ |

My car was parked outside on the street and was hit during this last snow storm .I filed a report with my insurance but do not have collision. It is a 2003 Hyundai Sonata. I was told it would be an out of pocket expense for me because I know nothing about the other person or vehicle. I then looked into uninsured motorist. They said it can not be paid under that. I think that I do not have any other place to go but thought I would post on here and just ask. Any help would be appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Sorry, but if you do not have any way to find out who hit your car, and you do not have collision coverage, then it is an out of pocket expense. Depending on where your car was parked, you could see if there was any video surveillance that would show the incident to try and track down the person who hit your car. But, in the meantime, you'll have to pay for the repairs yourself.


Its really to bad, but it looks like you are stuck with the cost. Without collision coverage you are out of luck.


You should make sure that you file a police report. You should also check with your insurance company to determine what type uninsured motorist coverage that you have. If you do not have any coverage and you are unable to file a lawsuit against the hit & run motorist, you will have to deal with the losses out of your own pocket.


Without collision insurance you are out of luck.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


Unfortunately, property damage is not recoverable under the uninsured motorist portion of your policy unless the other car is identifiable. Collision coverage is the recourse for money for that damage, and if you don't have any, you are out of luck.

Each case is fact sensitive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.


Unless you can locate the driver, you're probably out of luck. Best bet is to get good coverage, so you aren't in this position again. Get as much UM/UIM as you can afford.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer