Skip to main content

What can i do if i cant make it to court in another state since i was just served with the papers 3 days ago and its tomarrow?

Allentown, PA |

got court in NC but i live in PA and dont got money to travle

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Without knowing more, it is difficult to respond. However, it cannot hurt to call that court and to tell them that you have not been given enough time to respond. It also seems unlikely that whatever service was accomplished would comply with the time requirements. Usually service has to be accomplished and return made to the court, several days before the date of the event. If service was made 4 days ago, then it is likely that the sherriff's return would only reach the cout a day or so ago.

As to how or why you should deal with the actual dispute, for that you would need to talk to an attorney.


Waiting til the last minute is never a good idea, from the point of view of whoever served you, or from yours.

You don't provide any information about whether this is for state or federal court, or if this was a subpoena or notice to appear, and since the rules vary depending on what you were served with and how, you'll need to contact your own lawyer ASAP for help.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Without knowing what you were served with, this question is difficult to answer. Read the papers very carefully, to see if there is a time period within which the papers had to be served. You could also call the court or the attorney identified on the papers and explain the situation.

Good Luck.

Jeffrey Whitcomb
Whitcomb Law Firm, Ltd.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer