Skip to main content

What can I do if I can't pay child support due to an injury and have a letter from my doctor that says I can't work?

Panama City, FL |

I sent a letter to child support from my doctor saying. I can't work till I have surgery cause if I do any more damage. They may not be able to fix the problem the courts are making me still pay or go to jail I have been trying hard to do the best I can and hope to have surgery next month but I have court again on 8-11-2010 the lawyer for child support has ask me for three different doctors option and they all say the same thing I payed every month for 13 years not all ways on time but I did pay till this happen to me what can I do to get them to leave me alone two more months so I can get better and not to jail

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Here's the deal. The child always has needs and requires support from the parents regardless of the circumstances in which the parents find themselves. I know that this is not the answer you want, but this is the concept. You must continue to pay in accordance with the order. You can potentially file a petition to modify the order based on a material change of circumstances, which would be your health.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer