Skip to main content

What can I do if CPS is continually harassing me without cause, making threats, and refusing to give me a reason why?

Seattle, WA |

I had a report given to CPS about something I allegedly said.....which was so far from the truth. CPS investigated. They "recommended" that I have my child in childcare and that I do a parent support group and then they would close the case. I have done those things....yet now they tell me that if I were to take him out of childcare then they will file a case as founded for neglect for willfully going against their "recommendation". I have asked for something in writing giving me some idea of what all their recommendations are and for how long are they expecting me to do this.....yet get nothing except being talked to and treated like scum.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


CPS wields a lot of power. I advise my clients never to deal with CPS without an attorney. YOu are unlikely to get very far with them without an attorney.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


You should hire an attorney to interview you and review the CPS reports and correspondence. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child abuse for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. To find my Legal Guides, go the AVVO website at; click on “Find a Lawyer” and enter my name and WA; scroll down to "Contributions" and click "Legal Guides" and select the topics that are relevant to your question. You can schedule a free ½ hour consultation by calling 253-815-8440.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


I agree with the previous responses. The best advice in this case is to seek an attorney for a consultation. CPS is not the agency you want to confront alone.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer