Skip to main content

What can I do concerning a school who turns away from bullying and punishes the child being bullied?

Apollo, PA |

We have went to the school with my issues, even called superintendent. The child in question has psychiatric problems and is medicated. She went to them for help, they ended up handcuffing her and said they were filing charges on her. All she wanted was to talk with me. They even said to me that they talked to kids in question and they said it never happened, so my daughter was again targeted and bullied more with no help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your information suggests that your daughter probably has an IEP and/or 504 Plan. You need to speak with an education attorney to address your issue. It is too complicated to adequately discuss here. Suffice it to say, you appear to have a legal case under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504), and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

You can find one at the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA). I highly recommend Pamela Burger, Esquire.


There seem to be two issues here. First, if they have charged your daughter with a crime, you need to hire competent counsel to represent her in that proceeding. Secondly, it seems you have an education law issue that is the underlying problem here. Hire an attorney to address that.


Firstly, you should put your concerns in writing to the school principal and any other administrator who deals with the child. This can be done by you or by an attorney who is experienced in education matters. You need to speak with an education attorney to address your issues. If your child is charged with any criminal offense, you should speak to an attorney who handles those matters. Good luck to you and your child.