Skip to main content

What can I do about this vehicle and apartment in both of our names?

Texarkana, TX |

My alleged husband skipped out on us for another woman after I found out he commited bigamy with me. We bought a car together days before we got married (I'm co-signer) and we have an apartment (I'm co-signer). He moved us miles away form home and weeks later left us. Although he left the vehicle, I am paying the note as well as all the bills and rent by myself. I want to go back home to my parent's but am afraid that if I let thes things go it will put me in a worse financial condition that I am already in. He knew that I was not working at the time we got these things due to postpartum? Is there anything that I can do so my credit won't be affected and still go home?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I'm sorry you're facing all these problems while isolated from your family.

I think you're going to have to chose between protecting your credit rating and living closer to your support group.

You can probably sue him to recover the apartment rent, or at least half of it, but I don't know that he'll ever pay. A sympathetic JP court judge might just give him the beat down he needs.

Good luck!


I am a Washington attorney and have no knowledge about the laws, rules or procedures in the State of Texas. If your matter was taking place in Washington, my answer would be as follows:

Who is "us"? Do you two have children together? What do you mean he committed bigamy with you? Are you saying he was already married when you and he married? When did the two of you marry? Are you also on the car title in addition to being on the debt? How much longer is the lease for and what will the termination penalty be? When you say you want to go back home, do you mean to another state or another county? I think I need the answers to these questions before answering further.

Jack Berner

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


Unless you want to damage your credit standing you'll have to negotiate your way out of the various contracts you've signed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer