Skip to main content

What can I do about a questionable debt collector's practices?

San Ramon, CA |

A debt collector, promised to contact the original creditor, and to provide me with the details of my medical account. They did not follow through.

I contacted the creditor myself, and they claimed my account was sold to Continental Credit Control. I called the agency back, and was told the creditor lied to me, because they do not "buy medical debt" I'm really confused.

I recently discovered original documentation, and contradicts the information being reported by the debt collector to the credit bureaus. Also, they report my debt as two accounts for the same day service. The account #'s are slightly changed. The amounts are ridiculous, $89.00 & $51.00.

I am first delinquent on the month/yr I received services. They stated, state law allows them to collect interest. This is not poss.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can report violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to the Federal Trade Commission. Here is the link: Good luck.


Consult with an attorney near you that handles Fair Debt Collection Act matters. Under the FDCA you may even be able to sue them for violations.


If the collection agency lied to you, there may be a violation of the FDCPA. If they are trying to collection debt that does not seem valid or more than is owed, there may be a violation of the FDCPA. You may be able to sue them for violations and be compensated. You should reach out to a consumer protection attorney. Most of us will do a free evaluation of your situation, and can likely resolve your case at no out of pocket cost to yourself.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only, does not create an attorney-client relationship, and may not be relied upon as legal advice.



I can agree to an eval-- since most of my medical debt, has many questionable actions that have already taken place. What should I do next?

Michael Kim Bane

Michael Kim Bane


The National Association of Consumer Advocates has as website,, where you may be able to find someone to do an evaluation. If you would like to work with myself and my firm directly you can fill out our free case review at or call at 312.924.2887.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer