What can i do about a newspaper posting ONLINE my criminal records & it showing up any time my name is put into a search engine?

Grand Rapids, MI |

It seems that my shame is endless when a mistake was made a few years back. Now a newspaper has posted it on the world wide web and my name is tarnished due to the fact that it is found anytime my name is typed into a search engine. It is hard to get work and even improve myself in general.

More accurately, in what case would the company have to take down the article? If i ask them to take it down and they make it more public that is damaging to me and it seems then they would be viewed as interfering with my quality of life in some way, or as hurtful in the way it is being used.

Best Answer

You might consider a legal name change....

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

Good suggestion

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Drastic, but not too many options to get away from Googling.

My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised there is no loop hole to prevent them from putting it on out in the open like that. It almost seems if you ask a company to take it down and they decide to make it more public that it would be defamation of character or something.

While it's not false it is damaging.

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation allegations. :{

I just feel like the way it is being displayed is directly affecting my life in a negative manor. Ultimately it is being used (unknowingly or not) to hurt me. There has to be something that defends a persons integrity and well being.

... i may just change my name and become sovereign.

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

That could help.

You mistakenly believe that your name is tarnished because your criminal records are published online. The records are public.

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

The records are public. This has been established. The question is what can i do about it?

If the information is accurate, there isn't much you can do about it legally. Criminal records are public. From a non-legal perspective, you might try speaking with a reputable reputation management company. They can try to at least change the search results to get the listing off the front page so this is not the first thing people see when searching for your name.

looked into that and it's about 120 per year.

Assuming what the newspaper published accurately reflects the court's file, there's not much you can do because court files are public information. However, if the crime can be expunged or set aside then your attorney might take the court order setting aside the conviction to the newspaper management and ask them to remove the old information or publish the latest court order setting the conviction aside.

About 2 more years from august is what i have to wait. What does a judge look at when deciding, and will the news paper then have to take the posting down if the conviction is set aside? Michigan is the state.

Michael G. Walsh

Michael G. Walsh

This is a two-part question: 1. The newspaper does not have to do anything. But if approached and if the editor is sympathetic, he/she may agree too remove the conviction article(s) upon a showing of expungement. 2. When asking a court to expunge a misdemeanor or set aside a felony, we also have to involve the state attorney general, Michigan State Police, and the county prosecutor. We have to show there were no other convictions and that you - and society - would benefit from the expungement. Give me a call to discuss your case in greater detail. MIKE WALSH, MUSKEGON 231-725-4200.