Skip to main content

What can I do about a FR Suspension issued by The State of Florida - Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles ?

Spring Hill, FL |

I received a traffic citations from the County Sheriff for 'Expired Tag' , 'No Proof Of Insurance' , 'Speeding'.
The vehicle I was driving was borrowed. I paid the 3 fines.
Now I've received a notice from the state that my license is suspended for the 'No Proof of Insurance'.
I didn't know it at the time that the owner of had a supended license as to why the insurance had been cancelled.
The owner of the vehicle was unaware that the insurance had been cancelled until requesting 'Proof of Insurance' from the insurance agent.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Under Section 316.646, which requires the owner but not the non-owner operator to have immediate possession of proof of insurance, you may have had a defense to the insurance charge which you waived when you paid the fine. The Florida DHSMV probably sent you the notice because you admittd by paying the fine that you were obligated to have proof of insurance. You need to comply with the instructions in the notice you received if you wish to challenge this suspension by explaining the situation to the DHSMV, which you should do since you have no way of reinstating your license otherwise. You should sit down with an attorney to discuss this further,

My response to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it create any obligation for me to represent you or for you to hire me to represent you. For additional help with your problem, you should consider promptly consulting with an attorney with whom you will have a confidential attorney-client relationship.


Unfortunately, the vehicle either has insurance or does not have insurance. It is the operator's responsibility to insure that the vehicle can be lawfully operated on the road.

You need to speak with a local attorney about this.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer