Skip to main content

What can I do about a circumcision done from four years ago?

Three Rivers, MI |

We live in Michigan. My son had his circumcision done 4 years ago at Three Rivers hospital Michigan. We had some complications during my pregnancy and my son was born a month early. He was in the hospital for a little over a week, and when I was finally well enough to take care of him, I noticed his penis looked a little different. It looked like it was healing onto the glans. We took my son to the doctor and brought it to their attention, and we were told that it was completely normal and it would look better as he got older. The year after we brought him back again for a checkup and mentioned it to the doctors. Again we were told the same. He is now 4, and what appears to be bridging has occurred. It is very hard to keep his penis clean and we arent sure what to do, especially as he ages

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Take him to a different doctor for a second opinion, and find out if the doctor thinks something was done wrong. The only way to know if there was malpractice is to retain a local med mal lawyer who can order the medical records and send them to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care. I’m sorry, but my firm only handles birth injury cases, failure to diagnose cancer cases, and wrong site surgery cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I agree. Get a second opinion. Then if you feel that their has been medical malpractice, consult an attorney for a consultation.


Botched circumcision cases can be a valid medical malpractice claim. The injury must be fairly obvious and extensive. Slight defects are hard to pursue. Also, natural patient-to-patient variances in healing are not actionable. It must be directly traceable to something the physician did wrong during the procedure.

Get a new pediatrician and question this issue. Most states allow a minor to bring a claim long after the normal statute of limitations would have expired for an adult. You should talk to a local lawyer for the best advice on that


Your son's medical welfare is most important. As my colleagues have suggested, it would be a good idea to obtain an opinion from another doctor.

In Michigan, medical malpractice occurs when there is a breach of the standard of care that results (i.e. is the proximate cause of) damages. The only way to determine whether there was a breach of the standard of care or not is to have an expert with the same background, training, and experience review the records. Also, because of the expense and procedural difficulties with medical malpractice cases, sometimes even meritorious cases can be hard to pursue.

You should contact an experienced medical malpractice lawyer to discuss your potential claims.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer