Skip to main content

What can I do, If the bank doesn't give my husband loan because he doesn't have is green yet, but was grant asylum?

Silver Spring, MD |

We want to buy a house I have green card and my husband not yet, but his green card is on the way. the bank said that there are not sure if he won't be deported.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can contact other banks or wait till your husband receives his green card. The bank is not required to loan you or your husband money even if you are both green card holders.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


Not an immigration law question.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Most banks have a lot of discretion to loan or not loan money to a borrower. Over the last several years, lending standards have gotten much stricter and generally a bank is not required to lend to anyone who does not fulfill all requirements. I suggest you wait until he obtains his green card, or try to borrow the money in just your name.


Generally, banks are in the business of lending money. However, they have very strict guidelines and if they require you to have green card immigration status to obtain a loan, then they have the right to do that. Since the september 11 2001, the rules regsrdignloans to non citizens have beocme very stringent. I suggest you wait until both you and your husband have green card status.

The answer provided to this question is not intended to give legal advice, nor is it intended to create an attorney -client relationship. It is simply an observation and is intended to be a general statement for your consideration There is no substitute for retaining competent legal counsel to assist you with your business activities.