Skip to main content

What can I do?

Daytona Beach, FL |

My biological father just served my mother with paternity papers. He beats around the bush and plays too many games. He has never been there, but he is the one who insisted on paying child support. He has paid $15.00 maybe three times. I am 17 years old. He says that he is no longer responsible to pay child support and has taken it upon himself to hire a private lawyer. I want to do what I can I'm tired of being used and played like a child. What can I do? Please help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is very kind for you to help your mom. I admire your courage. Your mother needs to answer the paternity suit. She is the other party in the suit and needs to talk to a lawyer. Tell her to call me for free. I'm happy to talk with her even if she chooses to represent herself. Thanks and stay strong.

Please understand that the following is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make legal determinations on your legal matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed.


That is unfortunate that after all this time this is happening. It is great that you are wanting to help your mother. Your mother will have to either respond to the paternity suit on her own within 20 days of the date she was served or she will have to hire an attorney to do so. Regardless of the decision she makes, she should at least consult with an attorney that is experienced in family law. Many great attorneys can be found here on Avvo and offer free consultations.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora, Esquire
Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A.
37 N. Orange Avenue, Suite 500
Orlando, FL 32801
PH: (407) 354-5223

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


It is actually a good thing that your father filed paternity papers. Your mom needs to get an attorney, and most cases are resolved without going to trial. In the paternity action, your mom should seek child support.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239