Skip to main content

What can i do?

San Diego, CA |

hi i have a question regarding a problem im going through currently. i been living in us since i was 12 came with a tourist visa and stay here. i attended middle school high school and some college. i had a problem with a ex girlfriend where she call the police saying i hit her but i dindt. police got to the place she had no bruce i did. she told the police she hit me fist and it was in my house where it happen... they took me in, as soon i got to jail ice grab me and told me they where going to deport me, she didnt press any charges but police told me they couldn't let me go because immigration put a hold on me, i am trying to apply for the immigration reform but im missing proof that ive been living 5 years straight here. i have court in may for immigration.. is there anything i can do so i wont get deorted? or any documents i can use to proof my residence of 5 years straight? thank you for reading and i would appreciate any kind of help. by the way this was my first time getting in trouble with immigration or the police i had a clean record

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should look into obtaining representation before your hearing in May. You have two things to deal with now. 1) Finding out if you can qualify for DACA, and 2) Making sure you wont be removed from the country.

Applying for DACA wont get rid of the hearing you have in May and the hearing is not something you can prepare for by yourself. If you can't afford an attorney you should look for a non profit organization in your area that works on immigration issues and you need to do that RIGHT AWAY.

As to establishing residency, you usually need some sort of documents that show where you have lived during the time that you were here. Did you have school enrollment records for example? Not knowing your situation, I'm not sure what documents these will be for you. Are you parents in the country? If so, did they file taxes and claim you on them... These are just some initial ideas.

Good luck!


Hire an immigration Attorney.. Best thing you can do

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Some ideas for documents you can use to show you have been in the U.S. for the past 5 years are bank records, school records, pay stubs, utility bills, testimonials/declarations from family members, friends, co-workers, etc. For your May hearing, you should probably consult with an attorney because an individual can be exposed to possible deportation on several grounds, including conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude, a conviction for a domestic violence offense, or an aggravated felony offense.

This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created as a result of this communication. For a free consultation call 619-752-0125 or email at Se habla Español.


More of an immigration issue than a criminal defense/domestic violence question. Contact and hire the best, experienced, immigration attorney, you can afford.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555