Skip to main content

What can I do?? My son was let off at the wrong bus stop, a block away from our stop, he had to cross in front of traffic, and

Houston, TX |
Attorney answers 6


Problem is, ISD are part of the body politic, i.e. state of Texas, and they have governmental immunity and its very difficult to sue them and proof your case. The car who hit him is the better culprit to pursue or was this a hit and run?


There may be arguments that your son has rights against the bus, but that will require overcoming substantial battles to include immunity and intervening cause.

I'd like to hear more about your son, his age, his injuries, his hobbies, etc.

I'd also like to review your police report and your family's auto policy to see what options he might have.


**** Sent Mobile ****

Marc C. Lenahan
Lenahan Law, P.L.L.C.

214.295.2664 fax
888.473.2820 toll-free

2655 Villa Creek, Suite 204
Dallas, Texas 75234

National Crime Victim Bar Association

Vice President,
Texas Brain Injury Alliance
(formerly Brain Injury Association of Texas)


Best bet is to retain a personal injury lawyer to go after the insurance on the car, and the lawyer can tell you whether it is worth trying to get around the school immunity.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Aside from the sovereign immunity issue, it doesn't really sound like there will be liability on the school district. You should focus on the driver of the vehicle, and consider a claim against them and their insurance company.

To research Texas car accident issues, go here:

If you could provide more information, one of our Houston Board Certified injury attorneys would be happy to give you a free review of your claim.


I agree with Mr Lassen. Your best option is to go after the insurance company of the car who hit your son. That driver is responsible for his actions. I would also make reports against the bus driver for his wrongful actions. Maybe you can ensure that it does not happen to another child (regardless of private school district).
I would seek legal advise as soon as possible.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub


I have handled cases like this in California. You can also successfully seek recovery from your uninsured motorist coverage if you have one.


There are tort claims act / immunity issues in this suit that must be contended with so do not delay. You have a claim against the motorist (likely) and perhaps the school as well, but it may have immunity issues too. A claim against the school/driver also may have statutory caps/limits to the recovery. Consult a lawyer. That is what you CAN and MUST do. Even if you end up not having a claim for some reason, let an experienced lawyer tell you that. You appear to have a legitimate and serious case if your child was injured to any degree. Good luck and get to an experienced injury lawyer soon.

The answer provided by counsel in the AVVO forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information is opinion only and given free of charge without full understanding of all facts and the law applicable to any question-poster's individual circumstances. The best advice is to take the question from this volunteer forum to a more formal communication with a practitioner in the specialty area indicated by the nature of the claim.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer