Skip to main content

What can be done about someone that is slaudering your name

Apopka, FL |

there is a man that is going around telling everyone that I had an affair with him. Which is not true. I heard that he stood up in church and told this lie to everyone. I just had a baby and he's telling that he could be his baby. I am willing to confront him in front of everyone about this. I just would like to do know what I can do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I think the word you were looking for is "slandering". It may be that the person who is slandering you to the church congregation is mentally unbalanced. Perhaps you should speak with the pastor at the church where this has occurred. Perhaps the pastor knows this person and can somehow intercede. I do not suggest that you attempt to personally confront this individual. If you are in any way physically threatened or touched, you should call the police and file a complaint. You will have to assess whether or not this person has income or assets which would warrant pursuing him civilly for the falsehoods he is spreading. It may be best to just stay away from him or hire an attorney to send him a cease and desist type letter.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.



no it wasn't helpful. he is kin to the pastor, and so he want get into it. I wanted to know is there anything that I can do.


You may have a few options that are best flushed out with an attorney who knows all the facts. Consider the possibility of defamation (if you have damages from the statements), intentional infliction of emotional distress, obtaining a protective order, etc. The point being that without all the facts the advice you get on here will be speculative, you should talk to a local attorney.

Best of luck!


Retain an attorney to send a Cease and Desist letter immediately. If that fails, then discuss with that attorney the prospect of pursuing further a suit for defamation. Realistically, unless this person has substantial assets, you would be wasting only your time and money by bringing a lawsuit, which can be expensive, without t reasonable likelihood of collecting on any judgment you might obtain.


A local lawyer can send a cease and desist letter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer