Skip to main content

What can a tenant do to compel landlord in returning the security deposit under PA landlord tenant laws

Glenshaw, PA |

In Pa- have moved from apartment and have not received security deposit. landlord has told me when i would receive the check it has never came in the mail. I talked to him angain he said another date and still no check. I have made a few attempts to contact him. He has not answered my calls nor returned them it has been over a month and a half . What is the best way to approach this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First you should contact him in writing and make sure that you provide him with your new address. This will set in motion a thirty (30) day window for him to return the security deposit. If he fails to do so, you can file suit (i.e. sue him) for two (2) times the actual deposit. Such a law suit can be started by filing a Complaint with your local District Magistrate. The process is relatively straight forward and you are not required to hire an attorney to do this.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer