What can a lawyer do when it comes to nonimmigrant visas?

Madison, WI |

As someone who has been denied a student visa more than once under section 214(b) before, I am strongly considering consulting a lawyer given my change of circumstances that I can demonstrate in my next visa interview. My question is simple. What can a lawyer generally do to help me with my situation? In the end, the interview will still be between myself and the consular officer. Will a lawyer advise me on what documents to gather and such? I am more than willing to hire a lawyer regardless of the costs.

Everything. An experienced immigration lawyer can make the difference between failure and success, between a visa grant and another denial. You will need to do the legwork yourself and seek to hire an experienced immigration lawyer that you'll feel comfortable working with.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

They can review what you presented and explain why you were denied and prepare the next application so that it's not denied.

Contact me at lobrien@ornerobrien.com or at 240-395-1506. This response is provided for informational purposes. I cannot provide legal advice specific to the facts of your particular case without a signed contract in which you have agreed to allow me to represent you.

Hiring a lawyer in your situation is a good idea by any means, especially since as you state cost is not an issue. Yes, the interview will still be between you and the consular officer, but as you state your visa application has been denied more than once. Do you know the reasons for the rejection? An attorney can investigate these and then help you assemble a visa application package that is much more likely to succeed next time around. So follow your idea. Good luck!

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

I've written an article about how an immigration lawyer can help a nonimmigrant visa applicant. See the link.

An experienced immigration attorney can provide the guidance you need to have your visa application approved. A good lawyer will advise and assist you in preparing your application and supporting documents.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.