Skip to main content

What are ways that a person can be 'served' as restraining order?

North Hollywood, CA |

the cops have tired 3 times to serve my ex boyfriend a RO. he has evaded each time by hiding in his house and not answering the gate to be let in. i am having my friend try now and am wondering if they knock on the door and they can see him come to the window but wont answer the door, and they state they are there to serve him the RO, does that count? or does he need to open the door? also if they call him to answer the door, and he answers the phone, but not the door, can they slide it under the door or tape it to the front door, would that count as being served?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Restraining Orders must be personally served. Your situation is not uncommon. If you cannot get him served, you will have to get the restraining order reissued, get a new court date, and keep on trying.
There is some case law that service is complete with voice contact, but you may have to argue that to a Judge. Best thing is to get him personally served by a Registered Process Server or the Police.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. **************CAUTION*************** CAUTION*************** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION************ Readers should be cautioned that AVVO cannot be relied on as they have a corrupt and dishonest rating system. AVVO routinely allows "client reviews" to be posted by individuals that are not "real" clients. AVVO does not ensure that the public receives truthful accurate information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer