What are the usual penalties for criminal contempt of court in Kentucky?

Brandenburg, KY |

I was charged with failure to comply and arrested. They let me out after I paid the fine. A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail telling me to come to criminal court for arraignment.

In general, a court citing you for contempt of court is based upon some failure of the defendant to act per a court order. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you at the hearing to show cause why you should not be held in contempt of court. The judge can hold a hearing and has the power to sentence you to jail for up to 6 months without your right to a jury trial. You need an attorney to review the court file and advise you. The court can fine you in addition to the power to incarcerate you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..