Skip to main content

What are the steps to getting a protective order in Texas and is it best to hire a lawyer to help me with the process?

San Antonio, TX |

I have been receiving threatening phone calls, texts, stalking, and vandalizing my home for the last month. I have saved all documentation, messages, and taken pictures of the vandalism.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your first step is to call the police. You need to be persistent talk to a detective as soon as your case is assigned one. If you had a dating relationship and there was family violence you can go to the District Attorney’s Office or the County Attorney’s office in your county and they can file a protective order on your behalf. If there was no dating or family relationship you can hire an attorney. The Attorney can send the perpetrator a Cease and Desist warning and a Criminal Trespass Warning. If the conduct continues a civil restraining order can be filed. If he violates the order the Judge could then hold him in contempt and place him in jail or fine him. I suggest you go to the police and the County or District Attorney first as this costs you no money.


Contact the police. Then contact the district attorney's office. They can help you file the protective order.
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin Family Violence Lawyer
Austin Protective Orders

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer