What are the statue of limitations for a debt collector to sue you for the original debt incurred, in Michigan?

Southfield, MI |

if there is a judgment against me , can they take unsecured personal property like paid for furniture , clothes , and the only t . v . I have ?

Generally the statute of limitations is 6 years from when the debt was incurred.. HOWEVER if there is already a judgment against you the judgment is good for 10 YEARS FROM THE DATE OF THE JUDGMENT. Further the judgment can be renewed to make it even longer.

Certain property is exempt and it is unlikely that they will take furnature, clothes, tv etc. contact a bankruptcy attorney if you have any problems..

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or james@weineresq.com.

Once a judgment has been entered, you ae passed the point of raising the defense of a statute of limitations. If you do not raise a defense with your first responsive pleading, it is considered waived. Michigan's law on what is exempt from levy is MCLA 600.6023. I have provided a link to the Legislature's web site so you can type in the statute (just the number part) and look at what is exempt. Included are household goods and furnishings; other categories exist for other items that may apply to you. Good luck!