Skip to main content

What are the rules from arrest to arraignment for felony cases in Missouri?

Union, MO |

My 17 year old child was arrested on felony charges of theft of a firearm. He was found with two other teens in possession of the stolen firearm. One of the other teens stole the firearm.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


well, what prosecutors do by county varies, but generally, the case will start out in the lower associate court. Your son will have an arraignment (reading of the charge) and his attorney will seek a lower bond if he is in jail. Then, he will be schedule for a preliminary hearing where the state will introduce evidence to show that there is more than a 50% chance a felony was committed and that your son committed it. If so found, the case is then sent to circuit court where the first date will be yet another arraignment. almost all cases are found to be greater than 50% likely. In circuit court, all sorts of motions can be filed and there will be trial.

if the prosecutor doesn't want to start out in lower associate court, he can have a grand jury come in, can give them evidence, and ask the jury to decide whether the case should be officially charged. if so, then the case starts out in circuit court for arraignment.

that is generally how it works. the prosecutors in the city of STL and the county skirt the ethical rules by trying to do both at the same time.

Hire an attorney immediately. If you cannot afford one, apply for a public defender attorney.

NEVER describe your facts in an online forum. I have CONFIRMED there is at least ONE county prosecutor that is a member of this site. My statements are my opinion solely based on the information provided, and that opinion can be wrong if your facts are different than what I believed them to be. If you have any further questions, you can contact me at 636-532-1400 or through my website


What specifically is your question


You need to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer! One who is not afraid to fight for your son. It is unlikely in Franklin County that they will reduce his bond amount without the waiver of his right to a preliminary hearing. This is the Franklin County Prosecutors way of pushing for a plea deal. A felony record could devastate your sons life. Call an experienced attorney who can fight for your son!

Please contact me at (314) 561-9690 for help. Answers provided to questions on AVVO are general in nature and do not represent specific legal advice. I am happy to meet with you in person to discuss your case in detail, and at that time I can give you specific advice based on the full facts of your case. *The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.