Skip to main content

What are the requirements to fulfill being an emancipated minor?

Reno, NV |

for example i would like to be an emancipated minor so i do not have to correspond to my mom for everything including the fafsa she can not file taxes but i can but for the fafsa i correspond under my mother until I am 24. I can take care of myself and have been for the last couple of months without my mothers help. I will be doing my taxes this year and I just find no need to provide parent information if I no longer depend on them.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you are age 18, you are emancipated. If you are talking about funding for college (th FAFSA), emancipation is not the issue -- different rules apply, and your families income is relevent for those purposes. Otherwise, to emancipate you need to be at least 16 years old, have your own residence (not living with a parent), and have your own means of financial support (see Nevada Revised Statutes, Section 129). If you have lived with your mother for more than half the year, she can still claim you as a dependent on her income taxes, even if you file your own taxes. Nevada law outlines very clearly what is required and what proof must be shown. You can get forms through the court's self help center.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer