Skip to main content

What are the requirements needed to get a public defender in the state of Georgia?

Atlanta, GA |
Attorney answers 4


Most states will allow the appointment of a public defender or attorney from the Department of Public Advocacy upon the showing that you are indigent (unable to afford private counsel). Go to the local clerk's office and request any financial application forms to fill out and submit to the court at your next court appearance. You need to ask the court to appoint you counsel.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


I agree with the previous answer. Georgia courts follow guidelines to determine whether someone qualifies for appointed counsel. Just as the previous attorney mentioned, you may be able to get the required application from the clerk's office. However, some courts will make you ask for appointed counsel (or the public defender) when you go to court for your arraignment. Be prepared to explain what your income and expenses are. Many public defenders and appointed attorneys are wonderful. Hopefully you will be assigned to one of the good ones. Good luck.


As Mr. Giannini stated, many Georgia courts will inquire as to whether you would like to apply for court appointed counsel at arraignment. If you do, then you will be given a financial affidavit to fill out that has questions about your income, what property you own, etc. You may also be required to pay a $50 fee to apply for court appointed counsel.

Court appointed lawyers are supposed to be reserved for those who truly cannot afford to hire a lawyer on their own. Some judges are more lenient in their evaluations of people's finances than others.


You have to be deemed indigent by the court, and facing jail time. There is a $50 application fee for the public defender which can be waived in cases of hardship.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.