Skip to main content

What are the repurcussions of moving out of jurisdiction after a citizenship interview and before the oath.

New York, NY |

do i have to refile and attend another interview?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


As a permanent resident you are required to update your address with uscis. If you move and you do not update your address, uscis will send all correspondence to your last known address, including the oath ceremony letter or a request for more evidence.


You need to inform the USCIS that you have moved to the new jurisdiction within 10 days of the move. This requirement is for all aliens who move within the US. The USCIS office where you were interviewed will then move the file to the local office that is responsible for the immigration processing in that jurisdiction. The new USCIS will then schedule the oath ceremony in that jurisdiction if the old USCIS office had completed the process up to the sending of the oath. If it had not, then the new office will take on the process and it usually does not require a new interview. The interview has now been standarized with questions taken from a set list and as you remember the USCIS officer who conducted the interview wrote on a set of papers and had you write in the same papers the English senence.

Good luck. You shoudl contact an experienced immigration attorney in the new jurisdiction for a legal opinion on the practices of the local USCIS office.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


You should not have to refile, but you should definitely notify USCIS.


I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer