Skip to main content

What are the proof that the birth parent cannot provide for child basic needs consistent with the local standard in Africa.

Austin, TX |

I adopted a child from Africa, (8 yrs old) and the boy has only one parent. All adoption has been finalized. I have gone for finger printing, and now I just received a letter from the immigration to provide proof that the birth parent can not provide the child basic needs consistent with the local standard in Africa. Since Africans don't file Tax like in USA. And Boys father does work, he only sells toothbrush on highways when there is hold up (traffics).
Am confused on what to provide for them. Please Help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Run, don't walk, to an attorney who specializes in international adoptions.

If you can find one who has done adoptions from Africa that is better, and from the same country would be ideal.

It is impressive you have gotten this far without an attorney. But you need one now. Use the search function on this site to look for lawyers who handle international adoption.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.


I added an International Adoption link to your question. I guess you could start by looking at State Department or other websites that talk about the standard of living, and average earnings of people of that nation for some background. If you went through an adoption agency, I would think that they would be your best resource.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship


You need to talk to the adoption agency legal department. If they cannot help, then find an attorney in your area who has experience in international adoptions. You could also contact immigration and ask what sort of documentation they require.

I recommend that you talk to an attorney in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer