What are the possible consequences to the violation of PC 273.5 a when it is a misdemeanor?

San Bernardino, CA |

Technically it's possible to get up to 1 year in jail, 5 years of probation, with other mandatory probation terms, including a 52 week domestic violence class, fines, and a 10 year firearm prohibition. What you end up getting depends on the judge, your lawyer, and how the facts of the case come out, among other factors.

In addition to the penalties above, you may lose your California Professional License, have a presumption against you for Child Support and will never be able to own a firearm or possess a firearm.

http://www.sethweinsteinlaw.com/crimes/domestic-violence/domestic-violence-legal-guide/

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

The 10 year firearm ban is imposed under state law; however federal law prohibits anyone convicted of even a DV misdemeanor from ever owning or possessing a firearm.