Skip to main content

What are the policies on teachers withholding (not entering and putting a zero) as a grade for students who have missing assignm

Gilbert, AZ |

The teacher refuses to add the grade to the gradebook until all assignments are turned in, yet refuses to provide the missing assignments? What can I do?

The test wasn't lost, but she has the actual score, and yet refuses to enter it.

+ Read More

Filed under: Education law
Attorney answers 2


Are you saying you lost the assignments. it seems reasonable that the teacher would provide a new worksheet. Ask again, or consider asking the Principal for guidance.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.



I didn't lose the assignments, she's put the grade as a comment but the actual grade as a 0. She's refusing to enter it until all of the assignments are turned in.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson


So I fail to see what the present obstacle is to turning in the remaining assignments. Do you have all that you need to proceed? If so (and in accord with my colleague above as to academic policy) I suggest simply completing all the work. What am I missing?


This is a question of school policy, not law. The teacher must act consistently with school and district rules and policies. Other than those limitations, s/he is free to act on her own judgment. The law will almost never interfere with the grading functions of teachers and professors.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.