What are the penalties in Florida for lying to a police officer and making a false report?

Gainesville, FL |

I was on my way to a club, and was approached by a homeless man asking for money.He was aggressive and I was scared,my friend called the cops without my consent, now i am in trouble for filing a false report, and lying to a law enforcement officer. What could happen when i go to court?

You don't say what you lied about. For example, if you lied about facts in a murder investigation then it is very serious and you could do a lot of prison time. However, it sounds like this is a misdemeanor and you would be facing one year in jail and a $1000 fine. You really should talk to an attorney in your area enough time before court so that you could fight this. There may be defenses or it may be that the state can't prove the charge. You really won't know until you talk to an attorney.

If your friend called the police, what did you do? Did they call from your phone? Once the police arrive what was said? By whom? What part of the report was actually, factually false? You'll need to post more information for a better answer than that already provided.

I agree that you should consult with an attorney - in an office setting where the attorney-client priviledge will apply. Discussing the specific facts of your case with friends, family, or the internet may compromise an important facet of your case.
As this may be considered a crime of dishonesty, or moral turpitude, a conviction may have an impact on your future. If you have no prior history, you may be eligible for a diversion outside the criminal justice system; we often obtain such resolutions in Gainesville which ultimately result in the case being dismissed.
Again, please consult with counsel; most firms here in Gainesville, including ours, will give you a free, if brief, initial consultation.
Best wishes for a successful resolution of this case.

I have a court date coming up of an incident that happened with my ex-girlfriend. I'm not saying I'm a saint, but I didn't do half of the stuff she is claiming. Now, she claimed she felt her life in jeopardy and scared for her life, me being around her house stalking her when I wasn't. She filed a few false reports and made false accusations, some that have landed me in the hospital. I wish I can get her to payback, just for landing me in jail and being on house arrest, not being able to go see my son or attend to his games. What do you think is possible to do in my case?

Barbara Blount-Powell

Barbara Blount-Powell

Given the information you have posted, your situation sounds rather complex. Just as I advised in my initial anwer, you probably need to consult with a competent attorney in an office setting to determine first if you can be successfully defended. It is not "payback" so much as clearing your own name you should be interested in accomplishing. Only then would a prosecutor be interested in righting a wrong against you. Best wishes!