Skip to main content

What are the penalties for embezzlement in texas?

Houston, TX |
Attorney answers 3


Texas law does not provide a separate criminal offense called "embezzlement".

Under Texas law, embezzlement is prosecuted as theft. For theft of money or property of a value of $900, with a very few exceptions, the offense would be a top level misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and up to a $4000.00 fine.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


I agree with Mr. Pierce-Jones.

I will add that an embezzlement case implies employee theft. In Harris County the District Attorney's Office considers employee theft to be very serious. Many of the misdemeanor prosecutors will not offer a probation or deferred adjudication on such cases. In fact, several of the county court judges will not allow a plea on a deferred adjudication to an employee theft situation without some type of jail time as a condition.

You need to contact a criminal defense attorney with experience handling these types of cases in these courts.

Joseph Vinas answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please contact Mr. Vinas at (713) 229-9992 for a FREE CONSULTATION or visit his website at


A suggestion. If you can arrange payment of the sum taken and make the payment in a timely manner, you might (it would here in many places n CA) improve the disposition. This type of arrangement requires the assistance of an attorney. You would only make things worse if attempted it.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer