What are the options for an F2 visa holder to get work permit?

Philadelphia, PA |

To switch to H1B status, one needs to find such an employer who will file a petition for non-immigrant employee.
My question is, is there any way an F2 may apply for status change on his/her own before finding an employer in the first hand? Say, even if the F2 is willing to pay whatever the fees associated with this change.
Or is there any other alternative way to get a work permit? Obviously, he/she has no intent to become "legal" citizen in near future.
By the way, I came to know that F2 visa holder may engage in studies. Is it ok to get enroll in any online university? These Universities (e.g. Phoenix) will not endorse an i-20.

Best Answer

You must change your status to one that permits employment. Most options require an employer who petitions you based on an offer of emplyment. You may otherwise qualify for employment authorization if your spouse is eligible to apply for adjustment of status. You cannot obtain employment authorization in F-2 under any circumstance.

thank you.

I have a follow up question. Is it allowed for an F2 to do any internship? He/she may get some monetary compensation for that. Or should the F2 first change to H1B in order to be an intern? Thanks in advance.

Change statuts that allows employment. H1b, l1, F1 on campus...you should see an attorney to discuss your options.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova www.shautsova.com www.shautsova.com www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

thank you.

I agree with Attorney Schmidt.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.