Skip to main content

What are the odds of selling 6/10ths of your property and getting the $500,000 tax exclusion offered by the IRS?

Orange, CA |

We have a former trusted HR Block tax planer with advise to sell 6/10ths of my property to avoid paying capital gain taxes. What advise can you offer to avoid paying any taxes on this property? I can bump up all the fixtures and property improvements to $300,0000 leaving about $530,000 in capital gains. My plan is to keep the Home Equity Loan (in case I need cash for my retirement) on all of the land and avoid telling the local tax appraisers we sold the property so we can keep our 1976 tax-rate plus add-on.

The tax-planner's idea appears solid, as one of the kids on this property sale, do I have anything to worry about regarding my equity and ownership rights. Would I be counted a part of a bad faith tax prep if I did not know the details in the beginning?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Without the specifics hard to even take a guess. You already have an opinion from a tax planner to be certain consult with tax attorney to make sure that you are within the exemption guidelines. You can use avvo find a lawyer feature to locate a tax attorney in your locality.

Good luck.

You wouldn't want to look for general advise on a few hundred thousand dollar tax liability question better served to invest in a couple of hours of expert advise.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.


You should be careful not to rely too much on your tax planner. It has been my experience that many of our clients get into trouble with the IRS and come to us and they've received dodgy or overly aggressive advice from their tax planner or preparer. Given the stakes involved, you should invest some time in a good tax planning attorney, using the pages of this website. Good luck!

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.


I agree with the answers of Attorney Stack and Ashouri. Certainly clarification of a number of facts needs to be made before your question can be answered fully.

Are you planning to sell a partial interest without recording anything to show that you have done so? If a deed is recorded both the lender on your home equity loan and the county assessor are going to learn of the sale. If you don't record a deed, there are probably obligations to notify both of them of the change. Penalties can be imposed for not reporting it properly on the tax returns and for not notifying the assessor of a change of ownership. The buyer is taking a tremendous risk as to his interest in the property if nothing is recorded.

There is nothing wrong with planning so taxes are minimized, but this may be viewed as a plan to evade taxes otherwise properly owed. It is worth the expense and time to review this with another experienced tax attorney or tax practitioner before proceeding.

This office is licensed to practice law only in the state of California. The answer provided above is for general information only, is not intended and should not be taken as specific legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship with the party making the inquiry.


It's risky to convey property without recording the conveyance. It's risky not to inform the property tax appraisal district of the conveyance to keep a lower tax rate and to avoid paying higher taxes. What you are doing smells like a scheme to defraud the taxing authority. These observations may be off base because I don't have all the facts. I agree with the learned counsel who have responded here--seek the advice of an experienced tax attorney.

Any statements made by Peter G. Milne in response to the question posed is not intended to be legal advice and/or is not legal advice and/or should not be considered by the questioner or any third party reader as legal advice. Further the answering of this question is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and/or does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be considered by the questioner and/or any third party ready to create an attorney-client relationship. Man­dated by the Texas Dis­ci­pli­nary Rules of Pro­fes­sional Con­duct: The prin­ci­pal law office of Peter G. Milne, P.C. is located in Tyler, Texas. Attor­ney Peter G. Milne, SBOT 24037118 is the per­son respon­si­ble for the con­tent of this reply. Attor­ney Peter G. Milne has not been awarded a Cer­tifi­cate of Spe­cial Com­pe­tence by the Texas Board of Legal Spe­cial­iza­tion and has not been Cer­ti­fied by the Texas Board of Legal Spe­cial­iza­tion in the prac­tice areas of tax law, estate plan­ning, pro­bate and fam­ily law

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer