Skip to main content

What are the laws governing setting up a international entity?

Stacy, MN |

The European corporation is going global and I am the USA contact. What I know is: I need to establish a C-Corp with this entity for the person to step foot on the ground in the USA to do training in the US. Each state needs a entity contract to do business in that state. After establishing the C Corp a contract with that entity guides the process. I need to know what international laws pertain to us in this process.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Then you should contact an international lawyer.


It depends on the state you form the entity. It depends also on the type of business the EU corporation is conducting. the legal, tax and immigration repercussions are many. My suggestion is to work with an international firm. Feel free to gather information from our website. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


Sounds like no international law may be involved, a few may, depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For instance, to bring this person to US, we are talking about immigration law. To establish C-Corp, we are talking about state law. You need to specify your needs and work with a lawyer with the particular skills.


You may, in fact, be better off setting up a U.S. subsidiary under a different structure, such as an LLC. It depends on the nature of the business, the desired structure, and a host of other issues.

It is unclear what "international laws" may apply. Again, this is a highly fact-specific issue. There will likely be cross-border taxation issues, for example, if revenue is being generated in the U.S. and then transferred abroad (or vice versa).

My firm regularly does business formations for foreign entities looking to do business in the U.S. Where necessary we bring in highly competent international tax counsel and other attorneys with relevant expertise. Feel free to contact me to discuss further at

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. I am licensed to practice law in the State of Delaware and this answer assumes Delaware law applies to the question unless otherwise stated. Unless and until we enter into a formal written engagement agreement, neither Berger Harris, LLC nor any of its attorneys represent you or have any duties toward you. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or review of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and get authorization to send that information to us. In some jurisdictions, this World Wide Web site may be considered advertising. Before making your choice of attorney, you should give this matter careful thought. The selection of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon written information about our qualifications and experience. Berger Harris, LLC has endeavored to comply with all known legal and ethical requirements in providing the information found on this website. Berger Harris, LLC does not desire to represent clients based upon their review of any portions of this website that do not comply with legal or ethical requirements in their jurisdictions.


We help businesses set up these cross-border structures: it's our firms sole practice. Feel free to get in touch.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through

Todd Matthew Heine

Todd Matthew Heine



Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer