Skip to main content

What are the laws for annulment for tarrant county tx for 1996.

Fort Worth, TX |

my (EX?) husband was put in prison in 1996 for 122 yr sentence. i was told by the leader of my church that my marriage was considered annulled, and was told by several divorce attorneys that my marriage would be legally annulled after 7 years if i returned to my maiden name and did not file taxes with him for the 7 yrs. i called today to get documentation of the annulment, and according to the tarrant county district clerk, i am still considered married to this man and i have been married 2 time since then with a legal divorce of my second husband. is this true? im confused as to what i was told and what im being told now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Texas does not have an "Automatic" annulment. Someone must file a petition asking for an annulment to be granted and go to court to obtain the court order. If you never filed an annulment petition or a suit for divorce and had an order entered granting either, you and the convict are still married.

I suggest you get a family law attorney and resolve this once and for all.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


You still need to get a divorce. You shuld consult a local divorce attorney in person.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer