Skip to main content

What are the laws about kicking a 17 year old out on the street?

Gastonia, NC |

I have a 17 year old son who has caused our family to loose our home twice. He is a drug abuser and I have tried all the avenues to get him help and no one will help me get him into a residential program so me and my other child can have a place to live. He is in the court system awaiting trial. CPS has said that if he gets kicked out of where we live then I have to go with him and if I turn him over to them they will charge me child support. I am disabled and cant work. I want to put him in a group home but was told unless he is court ordered then Medicaid will not pay for it and they will not place him. The police said to kick him out on the street but CPS said I cant do that. I love him but in order for him to realize he needs help I need to put him out and let him fend for himself.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Talk with an attorney about filing a petition to declare your son undisciplined.

An undisciplined juvenile is a juvenile who is 16 or 17 years of age and who is regularly disobedient to and beyond the disciplinary control of the juvenile's parent, guardian, or custodian; or is regularly found in places where it is unlawful for a juvenile to be; or has run away from home for a period of more than 24 hours.

If successful, this will remove the parental responsibility from you and assign it to the State but you could be responsible for paying some amount of child support. I don't know whether it will affect your residence hence you should talk to an attorney so that all the facts can be obtained to properly evaluate your best options.

Was this helpful? Please let me know by clicking the "thumbs-up" image at the bottom of this post. Thanks! Disclaimer: Information posted for educational / informational purposes only. No attorney client relationship created through the use of this web site. Information pertains to the State of North Carolina only. See our website, for more information. Rice Law, PLLC 401 Chestnut Street, Suite G Wilmington, NC 28401 (910) 762-3854