Skip to main content

What are the different types of trust accounts that can be used to put funds to pay deceased debits such as atty fees, taxes,etc

Schertz, TX |

Deceased had Living Trust. Trustee/Executor obtained EIN/Tax ID number and opened deceased named trust. Proceeds from sale of property named/titled in trust deposited into the trust. I.R.S. sent letter to Trustee/Executor advising a tax return needs to be filed on the trust. Will taxes be due on proceeds from sale of home titled in trust of the deceased? Attorney representing deceased estate is requesting the funds be given to him to place in a trust account. What options are available to place in Independent Company to manage trust funds to prevent misuse by anyone? How much does this usually cost and how is this done? Can proceeds in this account be used to pay deceased state & federal taxes due, attorney fees,funeral expenses? Who can set up the trust account with funds?

Should client be weary about attorney that does not want to set up the proceeds into an Independent Trust Company and insist on putting funds into his trust account?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Taxes due on sale: If this was a revocable trust where the assets in the trust were included in the estate, then they would get a step up in basis as of the date of death and in that case there may little or no capital gain tax. (If death occurred in 2010 it is more complicated and beyond the scope of this forum).
Attorney:The attorney is out of line; this proceeds are the trust's property and should be distributed to such trust. If he is concerned bout his fee, it can be paid at settlement table.
Independent Trust Company: You need to review the trust provisions as it may or may not allow for this flexibility; otherwise you need to petition the court for such a change
Expenses: Once again, the trust may allow for this, but you must look at the trust document.
Set Up: The trustee is the only one who can act for the trust.

This situation requires an estates attorney from Texas to do a complete review.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.