Skip to main content

What are the court fees for divorce in Miami-Dade county?

Miami, FL |

I saw that the dissolution of marriage fee is $409, but are there any other fees to worry about? How much should i estimate spending?

Also, is a good way to go if we have no assets/kids together? (not sure if its gonna be uncontested)

What is involved in mediation? Is it required in Miami-Dade? (I no longer live there, but my husband does. I live in CA so i want to make as few trips there as possible). I'm going to try to do as much as possible online

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you need to have the other party served you will have a $10.00 fee for the issuance of a summons, plus the costs of having the paper served (which I do not know how much the sheriff's office in Miami-Dade charges, you can probably find it online, but is likely in the $25-30 range if it's local).

You may also have a fee to attend mediation (again, I do not know how much that runs in Miami-Dade). In Hillsborough County, if you're using the Court's Mediation & Diversion services instead of a private mediator, it runs between $60-120 per person for a 2 1/2 hour session).

If the case is contested you may end up wanting a court reporter for hearings or need a copy of any digital recordings of hearings which would significantly increase your costs, but if you're thinking that's the way it will go, then I think you're better served seeking a consultation with a Family Law attorney in your area who can answer your questions and guide you through the process.

Likewise, I cannot speak for or against the web-site you referenced as it appears to be a service just to help you complete the same forms you can download for free from the state's web site (see Family Law Self Help Forms - they all have instructions attached to them).

Most jurisdictions have "Pro Se" or "Self Help" Intake units to provide the same help that the web-site would, only there is no charge for such services. They are staffed by volunteers (some counties have volunteer attorneys there to help) but they are not permitted to give you legal advice, just help you complete the forms (same as the on-line service, which is likely a paralegal service not an attorney, so they are not permitted to give you legal advice or they'd be engaged in the unlicensed practice of law).

In general, if you have no children, no property, no assets/liabilities, you should be able to do a "pro se" dissolution of marriage using the state's forms and free services (you'll still have to pay the filing fees, etc from above unless you qualify for any financial hardship programs in your county) but if you have any areas of material dispute it is always best to seek a consultation with a Family Law attorney in your area who can answer your questions and help you figure out if you need an attorney and/or how an attorney could help you with your case.


I agree with Mr. Pollock about the online form outfits. Abetter bet is to find a lawyer who will provide limited representation and you pay only for the parts you have the attorney do and not the things you can do on your own. Look for unbindled legal services.

This is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice upon which anyone should rely. Nor does it create any attorney client relationship.

Stanton L. Cobb
Board Certified Marital & Family Law Specialist
Fellow - American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
P.O. Box 149223
Orlando, FL 32814-9223
Tel. (321)972-4643
Fax (407)374-2499

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer