Skip to main content

What are the consequences for leaving the scene of a car accident?

Malone, NY |

i was in a minor car accident in a parking lot everyone was fine and there was minimal damage to the 2 vehicles. i still dont feel comfertable so i am going to the state troopers to report it, in case the other person trys to say i did worse then what happened. i realize i will get multiple tickets and im wondering whats the worse for leaving the scene. i was at fault but the lady told me to just write a check and being only 17 i couldnt. so she made me sign an agreement, i realize now that it was wrong

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You don't have to report hte accident to the police you just have to show the other person your license and insurance. You can be arrested for leaving the scene without doing that or reporting it to the police. Read Vehicle and Traffic law 600.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Since it was a "minor fender bender", and since both drivers exchanged license information, etc. , and there was no personal injury, you should not be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. You should still report it to your insurance company and see if your carrier will pay for any property damage claimed.


Before you do anything else, you need to hire a local attorney to advise you of your rights and obligations under NY law.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created through the use of this website or by answering this particular post. Each claim is different and must be judged on its own merits. The response herein does not constitute legal advice. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Questions may not include significant and important facts that could significantly change the reply. Mr. Price is licensed in MO only and strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her particular state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


Dont talk to anyone. Hire an attorney ASAP. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


If you are in a car accident, are at fault, and leave the scene of the accident, there can be criminal issues as well as an affect on the civil case against you. In the civil case where a party leaves the scene of the accident, most states allow an inference of guilt as a result of these actions. Call a local automobile accident attorney for the laws of your state.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at


Retain a local traffic court lawyer to fight it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer