Skip to main content

What are the charges of shoplifting about $ 5 worth of merchandise at the local Waldemar . i am 13 years of age

Cerritos, CA |

what if i got caught shoplifting at Waldemar for taking 5 dollars worth of candy . I need to know what will happen to me if i get caught . will i go to jury or will i have to pay ridiculous amounts of money ?

sorry its Walmart

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You don't get a Jury Trial in Juvenile Court. You will likely have to complete Community Service. Have your parents contact an attorney.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


Shoplifting is a criminal offense. If you were cited or arrested/detained as a juvenile, law enforcement would contact your parents and you may have to appear in juvenile court to defend the criminal charge. You should hire an attorney to represent you in court. This is a "minor" petty crime but you could be exposed to time in the youth center, probation, fined, ordered to pay restitution, placed in a diversion program, case informally adjusted, ordered to community service hours, etc. Usually first time offender are treated more favorably than repeat offenders. But theft is a crime of dishonest or moral turpitude and should not be taken lightly.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Have your parents get a lawyer foot you. As a youthful offender there are programs you may qualify for.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer